Friday, February 05, 2010

Being a Wife

As the time for my wedding drew near I found myself being frequently asked these questions..."Are you ready to be a wife?" "Are you ready to cook for your husband?" these questions were mainly coming from women of my Mother's generation or before. I would always answer yes...even though I was still pretty unsure of all that would entail! Well, in my month and a half of extensive experience I can't say I yet know all that comes with being a wife...I'm not sure I can give you that answer for many years to come! The one thing I do know is I've loved to cook for Steve!
I've always loved to cook for people, but being single I never cooked a full-blown meal to eat all by my lonesome....it seemed pretty pointless! The only times that I really got experience cooking were on the rare occasion that I had people over for dinner (not a common occurrence for many single college students). So maybe I'll burn out eventually but I've been loving trying out new recipes online and making old recipes of my Mom's! It's so fun :) haha my current guilty pleasure has shifted from facebook stalking to food blog surfing!
Here are some of my favs:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/

http://smittenkitchen.com/

http://allinthenameoffood.com/blog/

http://danideejkitchen.blogspot.com/

http://domesticitybykasee.blogspot.com/

Sometimes I think Steve may miss meals that consisted of BBQ sauce, Forman-grilled chicken, and a tortilla (not as much prep time or dishes to clean) but honestly I look forward to the nights that I get to cook for us! This is a meal I made last week that's super easy! I was feeling a little nostalgic and decided to make a staple in the Veater home. This is my Mom's tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches (for grown-ups)

Tomato Soup

  • 1 qt tomatoes
  • 6 TAB marg. or butter
  • Heat until melted simmer 5 mins. Blend until smooth in blender then add…
  • 4 TAB flour as blending
  • Return to pan and bring to boil
  • Reduce heat add ½ tsp soda
  • Stir in then add milk
  • 2 cups (half & half or milk)--I use regular skim milk
  • Heat until hot
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • Cooking wine ½ cup (optional)--The cooking wine gives this a more rich taste but is not necessary



Your finished product is this rich but not too creamy beauty! I love it! I added some fresh Parmesan cheese and ground black pepper to serve.

My mom always made grilled cheese to accompany tomato soup which let's be honest...is essential! I decided to make grilled cheese with a little twist! It's really simple and a fun way to spice up a simple meal! Here we go...

I just used what I had in my kitchen that night and tried to be creative! I began by vertically slicing half a white onion (I think a red onion would work great as well) and cooking it with 2 cloves of minced garlic in a frying pan. I sauteed these until the onions were golden brown and then set them aside.



I then topped my wheat bread with shredded cheese. I would recommend jack or sharp cheddar cheese...I used some of the 100 lb (exag
geration) bag of shredded Mexican cheese that Steve brought with him into our marriage, I don't necessarily recommend this but it worked fine for me. I also topped the sandwiches with fresh spinach and 4 slices of roma tomatoes. Add your onions and garlic on top and you're ready to grill!




I grilled my sandwiches in our panini press which I LOVE but grilling them in a pan or on a griddle works just as good! Make sure your bread is golden brown and your cheese is melted and voila! You're ready to serve :)




Like I said it's simple but everything homemade is more fun! We don't do Campbell's and Kraft in the Marcum household! At least until I have 6 kids and no time to wash my hair or do the laundry...things might be a little different then!




7 comments:

  1. cute post. and yes I think you look very domestic! I wish I was around to see you being a wifey and having tons of fun being a newlywed. Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! You are so perfect! I want to be just like you! I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that soup looks so good. i want some now.
    thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I am so going to try that soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh, looks yummy! I just might have to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shoot Jess, I'm so hungry right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made some homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese- thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes