Thursday, April 15, 2010

Steve's Birthday!

Happy Birthday Steve!

Ok so this post is a little late! Steve turned 23 on April 3rd! We spent it up with Steve's family in Park City for Conference weekend. It was so fun :)
I totally forgot my camera that weekend but luckily Steve's Mom snapped a few pics for us!



This isn't the best picture of me but it's the only one we have together!



Blowing out the candles!

Don't judge the three previously-used blue candles on top...I promise I bought cute 23 candles...then forgot them at home, naturally. Luckily Steve's Mom came to the rescue and bought some she had at home! Thanks Gena!

I made my little chocoholic a three tiered double chocolate fudge cake with strawberries on top! Is your mouth watering yet? It should be, it was awesome! My Mom gave me this recipe and it turned out really well! Don't be intimidated by the "three tiers" it was surprisingly easy!

There's my handsome birthday boy!

Ok...now here's the recipe

3 tiered double chocolate fudge cake:

CAUTION...milk and ice cream necessary

Ingredients:

For cake

  • 1/2 cup of butter
  • 4 oz unsweetened chocolate (broken up)
  • 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/4 cups of sugar
  • 1 cup of cocoa powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp slat
  • 1 1/2 cups of sour cream
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract

For frosting

  • 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
  • 1/2 cup of shortening
  • 1/2 cup of butter
  • 1/4 cup of sour cream
  • 1/3 cup of milk
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 lb. box of powdered sugar (ok I don't know about you but I don't buy powdered sugar by the box lol... 1 lb is roughly 2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup of cocoa powder

Directions for Cake:

- First heat your oven to 350 degrees
-Now melt your butter and unsweetened chocolate together in the microwave (it'll be tempting to dip your finger in and taste...or at least it was for me...reference my last post...mmmm butter. Do not be tempted no matter how much butter is added, unsweetened chocolate only tastes good when baked!)
-Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a kitchen aid or hand mixer.
-Next mix together the sour cream, eggs, 1 cup of water, chocolate powder, and vanilla.
-Add the two mixtures together, beat for 30 seconds on low and then medium for 2 minutes.
-Now pour equal amounts into 3-9inch round pans and bake for 40 minutes!
-Once the cakes have baked let them cool on racks and we'll get started on the frosting!

Directions for Frosting:

Ok, I'm going to just be honest here...my strategy with frosting is to throw the ingredients together and add more sugar...not too scientific! Here we go :)

-So again let's melt together our butter and unsweetened chocolate and again let's wait to taste...hahaha
-Then, like I said start to add each ingredient and beat together! After you've added everything taste...then take another taste. Then add more powdered sugar as needed! You may want to make it more sweet considering the cake itself will be super rich!

Putting it all together:

-Once your cakes have cooled begin by frosting all but the bottom side of the first cake. Then add the second on top, frost all sides exposed, then do the same to the top tier.

sidenote: I like to make my frosting not as smooth...more organic...or something. If you're a little more organized/OCD than me by all means smooth out your frosting!

-The frosting should seal your tiers together, it wont be concrete...but it'll work have no fear!

-Once you've added all your frosting you can either add fresh raspberries or strawberries to the top and you're done!!!

and seriously...ice cream and milk=essential

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my. Jessica, why do you do this to me? That cake looks absolutely, monumentally, positively, gargantuously.... mediocre. And I realize 'gargantuously' isn't a word but I think it fits nicely. My birthday is in 9 days and I will most definitely be making one of those for myself. Oh, and happy birthday STEVE! :)

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes