Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Another Day Another Recipe




OK you guys. Remember that chicken satay I was looking forward to last night...it was amazing. Then to top it off I made a rockin' dessert (not to brag or anything).

And just because I love you I"ll share the recipes

You wont believe how simple these recipes are


it's positively sinful daaaarling


FIRST: Dinner

Chicken Satay with peanut sauce and white rice



Doesn't that look yummy? Are you jealous?


To begin, you're going to want to marinate your chicken

I marinated it for 9 hours while I was at work! Usually I'm too impatient to marinate for very long but I highly recommend it! Here's two reasons why it's worth it.

1. Your chicken is pretty much prepared before you even start to hunker down and make dinner. Therefore you wont be running around your 2x8 ft kitchen with limited counter space dropping onions on the floor and trying to do too many things at a time

oh....you actually have counter space

oh....you have room to make a main course and a side dish at one time

Then feel free to forgo the marinating

JUST KIDDING you're not off the hook yet....

2. It's makes the chicken ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! Hello. Instead of tasting the flavor only on the skin you come up with juicy yummy flavor through the whole deal! If that's not a good reason I don't know what is.


Moving on.


Let's start with the chicken



You'll need to cut 8 strips of chicken. I used 2 chicken breasts but you could use thighs as well!

Put them in a large Ziploc freezer bag

Then start sprinkling in the good stuff...


1/4 of an onion chopped


2 cloves of garlic minced


1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger minced


1 Tbsp. ground coriander


2 tsp. cumin


3 Tbsp. soy sauce


5 Tbsp. Brown sugar


4 Tbsp. fish sauce


Pause.  OK, you can substitute soy sauce for the fish sauce...but only do it if it's too inconvenient...not because you're scared! I understand if you simply cannot make ANOTHER trip to the grocery store this week for one little ingredient. However, there is no excuse if it simply freaks you out! It freaked me out too when I first needed to use it. It gives it more of an authentic taste though, definitely worth it!

Moving on.

Once all the ingredients are in the bag with the chicken seal it off and smush everything around.

Is smush a word?

Now stick the bag in your fridge and let it transform itself into delectable Thai goodness

Now go to work, or do something else productive like the laundry.



several hours passing by....


OK, once you're ready to start dinner prepare the rice of your choice!



I prefer Basmati Rice, but you can use whatever floats your boat!



While your rice is cooking take out your skewers.




If you use wooden skewers like I did, I would recommend soaking them in water for about 20 minutes so they don't burn on the grill...

but metal skewers work just as well!

Once your skewers have soaked long enough... take out your chicken.

Hello little lovers.

Place your marinated chicken strips on your skewers. One per each skewer. Leave plenty of room on the end of the skewer so that you can easily flip the chicken.

Now grill....

I actually used a cast iron grill pan I have, but an outdoor grill would work even better! So feel free to do either!

Just sit back and watch the magic happen.

Once the chicken has been cooked through serve it on white rice with peanut sauce on the side.

I didn't make my own peanut sauce because I already had some, but for a good peanut sauce recipe click here

Don't use a recipe that calls for peanut butter....yuck

TADAAAAA



I also recommend squeezing a little lime juice over the top of the chicken. The citrus makes it extra yummy!



NOW: Dessert

Usually Steve and I try not to have desserts on week nights, but this was too good to pass up!


Are you ready for it?


Banana ice cream with Hot Fudge

mmmmmm

OK, I'm a chocolate banana freak

It's my favorite dessert flavor by far

THEREFORE when I found this recipe I couldn't pass it up!

The best part is...

You only need 1 ingredient



Frozen Bananas!


Yeah! Crazy!

 I saw a few of these recipes around and I thought I would try it.

I was skeptical at first but it really works!

All you need is about 5 frozen bananas sliced up (to feed 2)

throw them in your food processor

and viola!

a healthy summer treat!



I also threw some frozen strawberries in the food processor.
It made the texture a little less smooth, but still good!


Now...


I made it considerably less healthy when I threw some of this on top.




Don't judge me

I can't resist the chocolate banana combo


I really can't


and I know you're dying for this recipe.

It's a Veater Family specialty.

Here we go.


Chocolate Hot Fudge

All you need is:


1 cube of butter


1 cup of chocolate chips


I can of evaporated milk


3 cups of powdered sugar


1 Tbsp of vanilla extract


Begin by melting the butter and chocolate chips

Then add the evaporated milk

Then add the powdered sugar

Stir until smooth

Bring it to a boil for 5 minutes

Add your vanilla extract

and....



As my sister would say "move into my life."






Love, Steve and Jess



1 comment:

  1. Little lovers :)
    I love your hot fudge. A LOT.

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes