Thursday, June 24, 2010

Coarsegold Pyrotechnics



Where I'm from fireworks are illegal.




Apparently too much forest is at stake.

What do we do for entertainment instead you may ask?

Brush piles.

Have you ever burned a brush pile?

No?

Here's what it looks like...




Every 13 year old boy's dream.

While Steve and I visited my parents this Spring it was "burn season"

and you know what that means...

burn season.

aka you are allowed to burn brush piles because the grass is green and full of water so they aren't likely to spread.

We were in charge of lighting up hundreds of massive brush piles all over the ranch.




and not just ANY brush piles.

The seasoned ones.

The ones who have been sitting and drying out for two years.

The ones who light up in 60 ft tall flames in a matter of 30 seconds.



Look carefully to the right of the flame...under it's massive shadow...that's the quad, just to give you a little perspective.

Yep

This was our responsiblity while we were home.

Armed with only a lighter and some diesel fuel we probably burned over 100 piles.

I think Steve has a whole new appreciation for the ranch now.

Like I said every 23 year old boy's dream...

Don't worry

Aside from a slightly melted quad a two burned acres, not too much damage was caused.

The fire department only called our house twice.



CAUTION: and now I really mean this. Don't try this at home.


Love, Steve and Jess


2 comments:

  1. Haha! That is so crazy! I think that would probably be Nate's dream as well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am just so intrigued by your ranch life... think if you'd told me about burn season when I was learning about herding cows! I don't think I could have handled it. Those were some fun pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes