Wednesday, June 09, 2010

A Revelation

So while Steve and I were visiting my parents this Spring I made a PIE, very surprising right? It was Mother's Day and my sister and I took on the responsibility of making Mother's Day dinner for the family. Now when I say family I don't mean Mom Dad and siblings. I mean three sets of Aunts and Uncles, their offspring, and Grandma and Grandpa...yes Coarsegold is solely populated by Veaters and their relatives...just kidding...kind of.

Not to mention all of the Matriarchs of these three households are amazing cooks.

Let's just say that these are the women who CREATED the pie recipe that I would be using. 

 To say the least...I was feeling the pressure.

Then, I was getting ready to make the crust and I couldn't find the big blue tub of Crisco in my Mom's pantry! Who doesn't own the big blue tub of Crisco? huh?

My heart began to race...
My blood pressure started to rise...
My hands went clammy...

Just as I was about to go into major panick mode 
-pause-
You may think that this reaction is a little overdramatic. Let me explain my reasoning:

1. It was Sunday. I don't believe in shopping on Sunday.

2. Even if I did believe in shopping on Sunday the nearest grocery store (15 minutes away), the Coarsegold Market, is closed on Sundays. Meaning if I had to go get Crisco I would have to drive at least thirty minutes to Oakhurst or Fresno...
Oh the woes of country life.

3. Did I mention that I was feeling the pressure?

-continue-
I found....

THIS


Can you her the Heavenly chorus? I could.

I had never used "butter flavor" Crisco before. Probably becuase it was more expensive at Smith's. I have to admit I was a little wary of it at first, old habits die hard...but I love it!

Not only is it more user friendly...no more measuring cups floating in the sink covered with stubborn, wont come off even after fifteen minutes of scrubbing, white mystery substance right when you need it (this will be much more comedic to those who took John Gruver's Math for ElEd class last semester). It comes in sticks like butter, no more measuring cups needed! 

It is also everything my pie crust was missing! The crust came out more flavorful and flakey than it had when I used the "big blue tub". 

It was amazing

Not to brag or anything but I even got a compliment on the crust from my Grandpa. This may mean nothing to you but this guy has tasted A LOT of amazing pies. Ok he may be a little biased. But still, I was excited :)

Anyway, this is very important. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use the butter flavored Crisco if you decide to use my pie crust recipe even if it is 50 cents more at Smith's, it makes all the difference!


P.S. I promise to post the recipe and pictures of the strawberry rhubarb pie that I actually made. This post needed to be all about the crust!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Notes