Monday, June 21, 2010

This Weekend's Project!

So this was my first trial run at embellishments and I have to say I'm happy with the way it turned out!
 I'm going to post a tutorial on this but before I go any further I have to say that this is completely elementary! So don't judge me if you are an expert seamstress and this is way beneath you!

OK Thanks.

Here we go!

I got my inspiration for this shirt here but decided to do something more simple. I made three rosettes using a really simple method that my sister Taylor taught me a few months ago. They turn out really cute and you don't even need a sewing machine!

First, you'll need a piece of fabric about the length of your arm. I used ribbon and a lacy headband (I cut the headband in half) but you can use whatever you'd like! This is super flexible :) The length and width of the fabric you use is dependent on how large or small you want your rosette to be, so have fun with it!

Once you've found and measured your fabric you'll want to fold it in half like this:


 

You'll want to use thread that is about the same color as the fabric you are using. It should be just about as long as the fabric you have chosen when the thread is folded in half.

So thread your needle...



Tie a knot at the end...




and let's get started!

With your fabric folded in half you'll want to start a simple running stitch along the edge of your folded fabric, so as to bind the two edges of your fabric together. You'll want to get as close to the edge of the fabric as possible, this creates a more clean look at the end. 

 

P.S. Don't mind Steve's socks...I needed his dark pants as a backdrop so you could see the light fabric!

Sidenote: See the fringe coming off the ends of my ribbon? I ended up melting them off with a lighter...



and it worked out pretty well!

Pyrotechnics aside..let's continue

Once you've stitched all the way to the end of your fabric you'll want to pull the thread tight. This should cause your fabric to gather like this:

 

(this isn't done all the way, I just wanted to show you how it gathers)

Once you've gathered it it should form into a circle shape.

Now playwith it, form it however you'd like! This should easily form a kind of rose esque shape. 

You'll then want to start stitching it onto whatever you're embellishing.

You'll first want to stitch the two ends of your fabric to the shirt/pillow/headband/whatever. This will make the form you've created stay in place.

Then you can start stitching from the middle of the rosette. Stitch as many time as it takes to make it feel secure.

I also like to stitch the outer "petals" to make it feel more secure and to give it a flatter look.
If you want it to have more dimension you should just stitch in the middle of the rosette.



and viola!

There's your rosette!

Like I said this is very flexible, you can use almost any kind of fabric and you can do it on anything!

I also made a headband using the same pattern.



I even stitched pearls in the middle.



See this is so flexible and easy! Just run with it :)

I also thought a throw pillow or flats would be kind of fun to put these on... the options are endless!

and again...



Just Have FUN WITH IT




Love, Steve and Jess

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I love them! I'm on a bow-making streak as well... I'm going to try making some like this, they turned out so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute! someday I will make one of those!

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes