Monday, May 30, 2011

A Cowgirl Day

First off...

I hope you are all having a wonderful Memorial Day

Thank you to all the service men and their families who have sacrificed so much for our country.

I'm a very grateful American.



Now for some all-American fun,

to show you how the west was won....

ok I'm done rhyming.

Here are some photos of us shipping on Saturday


I kind of felt like the Pioneer Women taking all these pictures


but I bet the Pioneer Woman isn't riding a colt 

trying to sort steers 

while taking photos...

it wasn't easy work!


it was fun though.


this is my heritage,

my roots if you will.


so it's kind of fun to document


so for those of you who don't know what it means to "ship" cattle

here's a little explanation


on our ranch 

we lease the grass to other ranchers who don't have green grass as long as we do

so this year we brought in around 300 steers in October

and then once they've fattened up and are looking like chubby little bunnies

the rancher who owns them comes back to pick them up


so we take a few weeks to find all the cows and gather them

then we bring them in to the corrals to weigh them 


then the big cattle trucks come in

and the cows owner ships them to wherever he wishes them to go


now usually the smaller ones go to greener pastures

 to put some more inches around their waistline


and the bigger ones go to be your next steak dinner

and that might be TMI for some of you

but such is life.

I love animals, and I'm grateful for all they give us.

food, friendship...

whatever it be.



It was a long day,

but shipping is always fun.

Family and friends all come together to help and watch the spectacle.

I love ranch work.

It's a big part of who I am, and I'm proud of the way I was raised.

There are few things that make me happier than 

riding my horse at first light,

running my fingers along the tall oats,

with my family at my side,

watching cattle graze lazily in the tall grass.



LoveLoveLove

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love Notes