Wednesday, August 03, 2011

a light summer meal

So Steve and I went vegetarian this summer.

shhh don't tell my Dad...or my Grandfather

I may be disowned.

we did it because Steve wanted to lose some muscle mass before his triathlon

his biceps were just too huge

we figured if we cut down the protein in our diet...he could cut down his muscle

something about being more aerodynamic....or something. 

To be honest, I was a little worried

I'm a home grown, cattle ranchers daughter, meat and potatoes kind of gal

this was going to get tricky.



but I have to say...it was much easier than I thought it'd be

and I actually kind of liked it!

Quinoa and Greek yogurt were basically my best friends.

oh yes, and lots and lots and lots of fresh salads.

like this one:

mixed greens, baby bell peppers, mini heirloom tomatoes, gala apples, avocados, blackberries, honey goat cheese, with a homemade honey balsamic vinaigrette. 



I wasn't super strict. I may or may not have had a burger...or two.

but for the most part, I was good

and it helped me get even more creative in the kitchen this summer!



P.S...picture overload from yesterday with my Mom and sisters. I'll update soon!

4 comments:

  1. way to go! I have LOVED being a vegetarian. I'm on year 3 now since I made the switch and it has totally changed the way I feel. -it's wonderful!
    and it totally makes you more motivated to find ways to incorporate lots of fresh veggies and fruits into your meals. what a fun goal for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried eating vegetarian, but I have thought of it. I just want to push myself to eat more fruits and veggies, and this would definitely do. I may give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum!! With delicious salads like that it would be MUCH easier to go vegetarian! Way to be a supportive wife :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going vegan a few months back (and then vegetarian because vegan was too hard) was the best thing ever! So cleansing. But watch out, I got pregnant during the transition...I swear the supernova nutrients of a practically raw diet made me extremely fertile. You're next, mama ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes