Monday, January 09, 2012

The 6th Grade

Well friends, I am now teaching the 6th grade. My school asked me to switch grades in January, so here I am. I consented to leave my cute little Kindergarteners with the consolation of even more hugs when I pass them in the hall (which has proved true...nothing like a mob of 6-year olds to make you feel like a celebrity). I'm loving my new students and look forward to many more witty comments and discussions on the similarities between Gandalf and Merlin. 

It's been a bittersweet move for me. When I was looking for a job I never dreamed I'd be teaching younger than 4th grade, so when I got offered a position in Kindergarten I was a little apprehensive. That said, I never could have expected how much I would love it! Teaching them was such a joy. I really loved my students. Then, when they asked if I would be willing to move, I was so conflicted! Here I was, being offered a position in 6th grade, the grade I always wanted to teach...but how could I say goodbye to those sweet little children? It was hard, but I did it. I just feel so lucky to get to experience both grades this year before we make our move. Kindergarten to sixth grade...what an adventure.






12 comments:

  1. I taught seventh grade and loved it. I think that age is fun because they still like school enough to participate and create fun conversations. The only downfall I really saw? Just that they haven't learned to use deodorant yet. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awh, good luck on the switch! I know it had to have been a really difficult decision! But think about it this way, you may get to teach the same little munchkins again when they come through the 6th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how incredible! Enjoy your last semester over there! If you need any connections in the education world in Boston, let me know. I have a couple...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, love the ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is quite the switch! I'm teaching 6th grade for my cohort this semester, and it's opposite with me. I've always wanted to teach younger grades, so 6th grade kind of scares me. Here's to an amazing 6th grade experience for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. kinda wish you could be my teacher. :) i bet you are more awesome than sprinkle covered skittles.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures look so much like Audrey Hepburn! You are gorgeous.

    p.s. Thank you so much for the tips on making the potato pizza! I'm trying it out tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I teach 6th grade at Franklin! Ahhh :) It is totally a different mindset than those little kiddos. 6th grade rocks, though! You will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness! That's a big age leap:-) Glad the adjustment is going well! 6th graders are fun little firecrackers! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aww that is a big change! I can understand why you would feel a little conflicted.

    But, congrats on 6th grade - I'm sure you will be a wonderful teacher, regardless of what grade you're assigned :)

    xoxo
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes