Monday, February 06, 2012

the irrationality of a woman.

We were driving home on Friday night. Our leftover popcorn was in a bucket between my feet. It spilled, and I sobbed. Don't ask me how a bucket of popcorn could elicit that kind of response from me, but I think it wasn't the only culprit. It could have been the homesickness that had been welling up inside me for a few months now. The longing for my family and for open spaces. It could have been the failed attempt of redeeming our February VIP voucher at Happy Sumo (an hour wait was just too long at 9:00pm). It could be those feelings of inadequacy that find their way into my heart every so often. Or it could be the unrealistic expectation that my husband and I should have the same opinion on every film we see. If he didn't love The Artist as much as I did what's wrong with our relationship???

Oh the irrationality that comes with being a woman. I reminded myself of this.

Never fear, the night ended up ok. We used the ever-helpful Yelp app on our phones to find another great sushi place with no wait at all. And though I would have preferred discussing the aforementioned film we had just seen, I'm ok with the fact that a black and white silent movie set in the 1930's doesn't speak to my husband as much as it does to me. What a Friday Night. 








11 comments:

  1. i loved this post. we all have "we are human" moments, and for some reason...they are especially hard on woman. glad you found a fun place to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely have those too! I call them my lotion crusty moments because...one time I was having a rough day and my husband offered to give me a foot rub before bed. Nice, right? But when he squeezed the lotion out of the tube, there was a little crusty piece of old lotion that came off the lid and he was about to use it to rub my feet. I lost it and broke down crying. Glad to know I'm not the only one that gets a little irrational sometimes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all have those moments, it's just part of who we are. I had a melt down last night because I don't want the semester to start again. It happens to the best of us :)

    Glad you guys ended up having a lovely evening none the less!

    xxx
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all have moments like this! I know that I have a melt down every now and then when my boyfriend leaves to go back home (he lives an hour and a half away for school)! But its never about him leaving, usually it's about some irrational fear I have or something that has been building up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you are feeling better. I completely understand the crying over spilled popcorn. I just moved to Provo and recently had an episode very similar to this at the grocery store. Being homesick can make you do silly things.
    P.S where did you guys go for sushi? and was it good? I need some recommendations. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great, real post. I loved the honesty. I totally have all those feelings, too, sometimes! Next time you need a great sushi place, Takashi in Salt Lake is seriously the best in the state. It's my very favorite restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. isn't it great to be a woman?:-) Sushi sounds like a fabulous idea! I haven't had it since before I got pregnant...and definitely cried about not having it during pregnancy:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jess, I loved this and I love you. What a great explanation of emotions we women all feel. You are Steve are so great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been having way too many of those "I'm a Woman" moments lately! I really think it has to do with all the changes that we've been going through lately and perhaps it's the same for you? Anyway, that video made me laugh out loud... I'm so glad we all are a little crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can totally relate, I'm such a weeper - got emotional watching Undercover Boss yesterday, oh dear! I guess it's all part of our feminine charm, right? Anyway, I love your knitwear, and glad you had a fab sushi date after all :) x

    ReplyDelete
  11. God this post is the story of my life. It's always nice to hear your not the only one to go through it though. That Kristen Bell clip just made my week though. Even the rich and famous have psycho, female meltdowns... that is very comforting to know!

    xx Melina

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes