Thursday, January 31, 2013

Mommyhood

On being someone's momma.


I think becoming a mother changes you more than anything else can.

It changes your identity- to your core

your priorities change, your goals change, your instincts even change

hello mamma bear.

inside my head: "don't you dare bring your coughing face near my infant or I swear I'll take my fist to your kisser...."

I never used to have those kind of thoughts.

sometimes I still reality check myself, thinking

wow- I really am her mom. Like my mom is my mom. Someday I'll drop her off at school, someday she'll ask for my advice (maybe) and someday I'll even help her with her own babies.

the whole reality of it still hasn't sunk in.

but I have to say- I whole-hearted believe it's changed me for the better

I love my life with Clara! I can't imagine wanting to be anywhere else

even when I can't find a place to nurse downtown- so I end up settled into a corner booth at Starbucks to try and she cries and goes on hunger strike and I'm stressed out of my mind worried about flashing the man two tables down and/or disturbing everyone in the cafe. 

(cue- the mayhem that was my Tuesday afternoon)

even then- I still wouldn't change a thing.

I kind of dig this new little life we have together,

Clara and I

I have a feeling it's only going to keep getting better.



11 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post! If you're ever in need of a bathroom for privacy near DTX, there's one at the DSW. It's sorta separate from the store, down a hallway on, I think, the second floor. And, also, my favorite bathroom secret is the Omni hotel - go up the stairs to the second floor... it's always clean and smells really great (and that whole second floor is usually empty/quiet during the day when no events are happening. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda....YOU. ARE. AWESOME. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll have to check both those places out next time I need some privacy downtown!

      Delete
  2. Loved this! Especially as someone who will be a momma in a few months. I've always thought that motherhood was a noble role and sometimes that thought s a little bit daunting, but you've got it figured out! I can too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. being a new mum myself i know exactly what you mean about being a mum and it not sinking in--i still find it so surreal that i will be the one there to hold her hand at all those big life moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet! And, you're right, it only gets better!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It TOTALLY does keep getting better and better. Each stage is totally bittersweet though, I guess that's life:-) And if I had a nickel for how many people I've accidentally flashed in the past 14 months...hooooooboy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great post! I'm pregnant with my firstborn and can't imagine what things are going to change. Such an amazing feeling to know I'm going to be responsible for my son and see him grow

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a sweet post, and so true! i felt a lot of the same things when i first became a mom. i'm a protective mama bear too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is such a beautiful, wonderful thing. Harper is 6 months today and each day it does keep getting better! Love this sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Motherhood is a beautiful thing! Enjoy that precious baby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found your blog through Silver Lining and when I read this post my heart just smiled! I just became a mama last Monday and I totally know what you're talking about! You're whole world just changes for the better. :o)

    Anyway, can't wait to follow along! Clara sure is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes