Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Essentials of Me


Something I've been thinking about a lot lately is what makes up the essentials of a person. In other words, what makes you, you? What makes me, me? If you took out all of the fluff of life (well most of the fluff- I can't tell you with good conscience that I don't have some fluff mixed in with the steel), all of the extenuating circumstances what would be there? What sticks?

I've been marinating on this for quite sometime and if you'll bear with me, I think I'll give it a go.

The essentials of Jess.

-I believe in childhood. In all its magic and adventure. I believe in it. It's the reason I went into teaching, it's what excites me about being a mom. They are the memories I cherish from my childhood. Exploring waterfalls with my Grandma that I distinctly remember as a secret fairyland. Make believe and fairytales. I live for it.

-I love to read. From the time I was old enough to dive into Goosebumps (terrible I know) I've been staying up until all hours of the night getting sucked into fantasy and novels. As a child my mom would have to check my room several times a night to make sure I was actually asleep and not just biding my time until it was safe to whip out my flashlight. Now all I risk are raised eyebrows from the curly headed boy I sleep next to. But I'm pretty sure he thinks it cute...right honey?

- I treasure things of the past. You could call this being sentimental I guess. Upon reflection I think I get this from my mom, who shares my love for Bing Crosby Christmas and mid century tableware. She always talked to us in reverence about the treasures of her relatives past gone and I think it is from this that my sentimentality towards "things" comes. Consequently, my love of thrifting/antiquing probably stems from this as well.

- I find the most beauty in wide open spaces. Green grass and God's raw creations. I know this is part of the cowgirl in me. I appreciate cities, I can see their beauty, but in my mind's eye they are nothing compared to mountains and rolling fields of wild oats. 

- On the same hand, animals make me happy. No really though, they do. Part of the reason we got Watson was because I get homesick without animals- and even though he's a rascal sometimes, I'm glad to have him around to pet and cuddle whenever I ache for the ranch. When Steve and I first got married I had to sit down and have a talk with him about my expectations in life. That was this, that I wouldn't be my happiest unless I had a little bit of land with at least one horse, lots of kids and a few corgis too. And that dreamboat of a city loving man has never forgotten it.

- I love to create. I think all of us as God's creations have some sort of urge for creation. To make something all their own. A child of their mind's eye. I am not exempt from this. I attribute my love of decorating, sewing/refashioning, cooking, etc. To this. It makes me happy.

- I am a Mom. I know this sounds kind of strange because I've only technically been a mother for 8 months but a part of me feels like I've always been a mom and know I always will be. It's a part of the fabric of me that's wasn't just pasted in 8 months ago. It's always been there.

- I love family, in a selfish kind of when we're together nobody else is allowed kind of way! Ask my siblings- I've been known to guilt them into pure unadulterated family time...many times.

- I'm loyal. That may sound weird to say about myself but I am. Luckily I found a husband who is the same as me in this respect. I wouldn't say I'm the best at making friends, but once I do make them, I'm loyal to them. I'm the same with restaurants and family and dare I say even books? I don't know, it's just kind of a part of me- it sounds weird to say but it's true.

-I know my Savior lives.



and since this post is getting pretty long winded I'm going to stop there. These are the essential things that are a part of me no matter where I live or what stage of life I'm in. It's me.




(photos below are of the loot I brought back from the thrift store the other day- including the skirt I'm wearing, not the baby though ;-)  )









15 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Jessica! You forgot to add that you are a writer and composer! I love how your blog captures your thoughts through both print and images. It's always a treat to read :-) You are stellar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bay!! Comments like yours make my day :)

      Delete
  2. Is there anyway you could post tutorials or where your buy your daughters cute headbands. I have one due in October and I'm itching to make some! Oh and her clothes! She always look so darling!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsea! For this turban headband of hers I used this tutorial --> http://beausandblossoms.com/769/ except I added a small piece of elastic at the bottom of the headband to make it stretchier and more comfortable! For most of her other bows I used this --> http://www.starsforstreetlights.com/2011/12/how-to-make-simple-bow.html tutorial! I hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. Love this post! What a fun idea to write about! And I agree with Chelsea ^^ I want a headband tutorial!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I posted the URLs ^^^ in my reply to Chelsea :)

      Delete
  4. I love all those things that you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You would be so fun to meet in "real" life! Perhaps someday. I love how you explained #4 and your quip about motherhood is oh so perfect. I just attended my ten year high school reunion and had thoughts just like these. We're the same people ten years later, though we may have families, be world travelers, have crazy degrees,... essentially nothing has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find you to be wonderful! I totally read goosebumps too! Haha. And as for the mom thing--me too. I always wanted to be a mom. In fact when I was little I always said that is what I wanted to be when I grew up. I'm so blessed Harper made that dream come true! Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post! Now I'm thinking about the essentials of me. Some I know right off the bat, and some I'll have to ruminate on for a while. Either way, you're awesome, and you need to teach me your thrifting ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww your little girl is adorable :)I can really identify with i am a mom part even though you've only been one for a short time.

    Em K

    Win a pair of Manitobah Moccasins!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm, this post clarifies why I like your blog. Animals, kids, books, being mom and creative, oh, and keeping magical childhood eyes are all what I identify myself with. I also love wide open wilderness that are so different from where i came from, Japan) Yep, you are my favorite blogger for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jess I feel like we are kindred spirits. We seriously have so much in common! From our love of old christmas music and crafting to our baby girls named Clara Rose. I agree wholeheartedly about being a mother, I have never been more happy than when I'm dancing around the room with my baby girl or when she prefers me over others (personally that is the best feeling). If you ever come back to Utah I would love to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post is amazing! I feel like you were talking about me with the first and last few essentials that make you, you! You are a lovely being, and this post just goes to show why I started reading your blog in the first place! By the way, what a thrift score! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes