Tuesday, November 12, 2013

an update on breastfeeding

This morning I woke up to snowflakes fluttering down my window pane. Now all I want to do is decorate a tree, listen to Bing Crosby Christmas on my record player and sip drinking chocolate (Don't tell Steve). Sometimes the whole "no decorating until after Thanksgiving" bit is such a drag! I love Thanksgiving, don't get me wrong, but when it starts snowing- Christmas will always be on my mind. 

Clara and I are down to nursing just once a day- right when she gets up in the morning. I would have loved to have nursed her a few times a day for at least a few more months but as soon as I started nursing her less frequently my milk supply dropped pretty rapidly. We had to keep dropping feedings because I couldn't stand watching her work and work for that milk, then be so sad and confused as to why it wasn't coming. It broke my little mommy heart. Surprisingly, I'm not as sad as I thought I'd be about the situation in general, though. It seems like it was much harder to give up nursing her exclusively, and now that that's over, it's easier to cope. We're in a better meal time routine now, I am more confident that she's getting what she needs, nutritionally. I feel OK about it.

I'm really grateful for our nursing experience. Both Clara and I really enjoyed it, I was able to do it for a full year which was my goal to begin with. We pushed through those first painful months and developed a really good rhythm. Next time around, I may think about trying some herbal supplements to keep my milk supply up when the baby starts on solid foods, but for now I feel good about where me and Clara girl left off. It was such a blessing to be able to nurse her, to put those little chubby rolls on her arms and legs, really everywhere on thy tiny frame....to connect with my sweet baby. But that chapter in our lives is coming to a close and I'm ok with it. And I think she's ok with it too.

Happy Tuesday.






8 comments:

  1. Hi There. Thanks for blogging, I enjoy following you. I was just wondering if you supplemented your breastfeeding with any formula towards the end of Clara's first year? I have an 11 month old and I'm finding it difficult to maintain my supply now that she's really into solids and much more distracted during our nursing sessions. I feed her 4 times a day, sometimes from the boob and sometimes with pumped milk (working mama) but it's getting harder to maintain the recommended daily milk intake on my own. It's stressful. It's also hard to know how much she actually needs or wants. I'm not sure if I offered her more, or offered her formula, that she'd actually want it. Just wondering how you managed during the last 4-6 weeks of Clara's first year. Thanks in advance for any advice you might have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm a certified holistic health coach and in addition to four nursing sessions a day, I offer my 11-month-old daughter homemade coconut milk and goat milk kefir. Bottom line is, formula isn't the only way to supplement. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the advice. A friend also suggested trying hemp milk as a supplement. So we'll see how it goes. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Those little baby curls! She is just a beauty :) My little guy is down to 1-2 nursings a day, although as I type that I realized he hasn't nursed all day today. He's 18 months and I'm thinking if I didn't offer it to him, he might just never ask for it, but I'll keep going awhile longer! Been following your blog for awhile and love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very happy for you that you came to a good place in terms of concluding that period of steady nursing. Calra is a beautiful and healthy girl. You've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I remember, like it was yesterday, making that sweatshirt for you! I'm so glad to see it on our beautiful Clara girl. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, what a little doll Clara is. Those curls just kill me!

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes