Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Documenting


 I was going through photos the other day to send to my brother on his mission and stumbled upon these in a folder I had completely forgotten about.  They're around two ish months old and nothing really special, but I guess I had just decided to whip my camera out and capture this moment in the kitchen with my girl.

While I'm so grateful to have documented so many memories with our family and I know I will continue to do so, lately I have been trying to take a little step away from technology. Not a big step, just a little, baby step. you know. I deleted most of the apps from my phone. Pretty much all of them except maps and instagram- no email, no PINTEREST, etc etc. I even deleted all my instagram friends (except for close family and friends who are pretty much family) and made a goal to only check it once a day. I felt like I was getting to a place I didn't want to be--where I couldn't savor a moment without capturing it, I couldn't allow myself to be alone with my thoughts. I had taught my brain to whip out the phone in any quiet moment, any lull in the day. It was too much. It wasn't who I wanted to be and it wasn't who I wanted my daughter and my husband to see me as. Now, I'm not going all Ron Swanson on you, I think smart phones and dslr's are fabulous. Just, for me, I didn't feel like I was handling it well. Now, I'm about a month  into my technology rehab and I have to say it feels great. I can sit alone in the car while Steve gets a redbox without feeling unproductive if I'm not on my phone, checking instagram or texting. I know it sounds silly, instagram- productive? It's not, but somehow checking my phone all the time for social media updates made me feel like I needed to be doing SOMETHING always. I couldn't just sit and think and dream. Which, is important, in my opinion.

So, there you have it. my confession for the day. Cheers!

P.S. Don't worry mom, I didn't let her crawl around with that rattle in her mouth.




2 comments:

  1. Interesting you should say this because I did the same thing! I even purposefully leave my phone behind sometimes. It's so liberating. And after blogging like a crazy woman through my favorite month of the year--October--I've decided to back off a bit. Posting twice a week is plenty for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to know that you are responsible and removed the rattle. You are a wonderful mother and wife. You know how I have always felt about the use and time spent on cell phones...we should all take a little clue from this post and re-evaluate the time we spend and when we spend that time on our phones. Thanks for keeping it real!

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes