Friday, March 07, 2014

10 things

A sweet reader (PS I love you guys, all of you. Thanks for reading.) informed me of a link up to write 10 things you love about yourself. Unfortunately I missed it on Wednesday but I decided to do it on here anyway. I've been marinating on this a lot lately. Sometimes I think it's really too bad that society today has such a strong culture of negativity, and not just negativity in general but negativity to ourselves. It's poisonous and debilitating and I really wish it wasn't there. So this is me trying to do my part to stop it. I saw this quote on pinterest the other day which means you probably all saw it too, such is pinterest. It was Kate Winslet saying something to the effect of "I've never heard a woman say to me; 'I love my body'..." Isn't that the truth? I thought about it and I don't think I have either. Nobody, not any of my most confident friends, my mom, my sisters, nobody. It's so sad! It's not socially acceptable to accept ourselves. I'm completely guilty of this, as I wrote this post I felt myself getting self conscious, but I want to be better. It's all about practice. Here's my training session.

10 things I love about myself.

1. My legs. I have really great legs, it's true.

2. I'm tough. Not in the I work out at cross fit every day kind of way, but in the I'm strong- I finish what I start, I can do hard things, I gave birth without pain medication, I have dreams about riding into epic battles on horseback yelling battle cries with a sword in my hand. I'm not sure if that last one really fits with what I was trying to say. We'll go with it.

3. I'm a good mom. I shouldn't feel awkward saying this. I'm a good mom. I'm doing a really good job of loving the heck out of my little jelly bean.

4. I've got a good sense of style. Or rather a good sense of my style. I feel like I'm good at finding furniture and clothing that is essentially me. I'm not afraid to wear quirky things if I like them. Is that a talent? I'm just going to go ahead and make it one. 

5. I've got pretty blue eyes. They're my Grandma Linda's, I think. I'm proud of them.

6. I'm fairly well read (when it comes to fiction, that is). I'd much rather read a book than watch a television show where entertainment is concerned. I like that about me.

7. I remember lots of random facts. I'm really good at games that require this sort of skill set. I probably won't remember your name but I'll remember that story you told me about the prank you pulled in the 10th grade.

8.  I'm good at being a wife, not all the time, but as a composite score I'd say I'm doing pretty well. This is something that's really important to me and I'm proud of the marriage we have, why not say so?

9.  I'm a good friend. I'm not the type that has a ton, but those I do have, I'm good to.

10. I'm creative. I can hold my own in the kitchen without a recipe, I'm pretty crafty and occasionally I come up with projects I haven't seen on pinterest first. But only sometimes. 

Alright, now if you feel inclined to leave a comment...tell me something you love about yourself! Or better yet, if you post something like this on the great big internet, send me a link!!

Happy Weekend!


because no post is complete without a photo...and somehow I feel like a swimsuit photo suits this post. I don't know. Bear with me here. The legs?

also, {insert shameless plug for my sister-in-law's swimsuit company that calls this suit its own.} Hi, Eden Pier, I love you. 




23 comments:

  1. great post! i will agree with you about your legs! very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I did a post like this a while back, I am REALLY trying hard to celebrate the things I love about myself as well as others! Here is the link to the post!

    http://hellogloua.com/2013/04/19/dove-real-beauty-what-does-it-all-mean/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok I tried to comment on your post but I can't remember my wordpress password....ha! I loved it though! Thank you so much for sharing. You do have luscious red hair- it's gorgeous!!!!

      Delete
  3. It is SO true! I just posted something at the end of january about loving my body and I was surprised by the number of slightly negative responses I received from WOMEN! They overlooked the positives I had said about myself and started justifying why their body or their situation was 'okay' or better. It really made me think about how hard our culture makes it for women to love themselves and be OUTWARDLY confident about it. Without seeming like they are saying I am better than you, or coming off conceited. Comparing can be so debilitating. But the more we see others appreciate themselves (like your lovely post) the easier it will be for others to learn by example and feel good about shouting their strengths from the roof top :)
    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Michelle! I feel like your blog is such a happy, positive space on the internet! Thanks for doing your part as well

      Delete
  4. One time you taught me that you can actually make a pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin and my mind was blown. I love you so much and think you are the best of the best. I'm so lucky to have you as a friend, and I really do just adore you! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly, I miss you. This comment made me tear up a little. Love you!

      Delete
  5. This is great!! More people should be proud and confident of who they are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, sexy legs, I loved this post! And you said it without sounding arrogant, just confident. We do need to concentrate on the positive in every aspect of our lives. I may have to send you a link soon. :)
    P.S. I like my legs too. Let's do a shaving commercial. :) jk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I was so excited to see your post! It was hard for me to think of ten things—your list is great! I've actually been wondering if you still are doing the food blog. The food you posted there (and here, for that matter) always looked amazing.

    You look amazing in that swimsuit btw. I am not to the point where I have the confidence to post a swimsuit picture on the internet, so you go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of these things about you, too! And also, I love your testimony. It's solid and lights the world, I promise! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea! It's so easy to hate and compare yourself to others. But there is so much about each of us that is unique, and should be loved :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. #3 and #4, spot on! Beautiful post, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw this when pinning Anthropologie stuff this morning and thought you might love it! http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/product/home-kitchen/29995925.jsp?cm_sp=Grid-_-29995925-_-Regular_52

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jess, you're a very beautiful woman on the inside and out. You're a gem. It's with remorse we didn't become better acquainted in Jerusalem. We have so much in common. Regardless, everyone from that period in our lives I still consider family. I love to hear updates and see where life has taken us. It's so cool. I agree, all these items you've listened are true. You're adorable. I love confident woman who empower others. I do have a blog (several actually), but the one I actually write upon and unveil all my inner pondering and wonderings, is closed to public. I haven't been brave enough to open that domain on the internet because it is so personal. But to share one aspect that I love about myself--is also my body. It functions as it's been designed to and has been such a blessing. I love how partite my figure is. I have a very small frame and often get criticism or false accusations about eating disorders (when in actuality I developed hyperthyroidism recently). Sometimes, I get defensive and insecure about it because of labels--but the truth is, I look healthy, fit, and slender. I like that I love myself enough to respect my body and truly take care of it. I don't look good for others, but for myself. Yeah, that feels awkward a little bit but hey--I replied! Keep it up Jess. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love getting compliments from strangers about how much younger I look (it's totally normal too see people gasp when I reveal I'm actually 29). It makes me giggle when they think I'm in my early twenties but I love it. I love my high cheek bones, hazel eyes, and long toes and fingers. I inherited those from my paternal grandparents totally. That's a wrap. I'll try to be better about sending positive reinforcement your way. It's never too late to start a friendship that should have blossomed in the holy Land right?! :) PS. Claire is such a delight. She's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, I love this post. I'm so glad you have added more positivity and confidence, especially for women, in the blogosphere. We all need to hear it! I could add a few more things to your list of things you're amazing at, but this is a good start :) Best swimsuit model, photographer, sister-in-law ever!! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this blog entry! I don't think I have ever written a comment but I love your blog! I found it through instagram. You look beautiful and I love all her suits! I live in Clovis which is close to Fresno. I know I read you moved to California. So fun!
    Andrea
    http://jacobandreasnow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your list! I just wrote my post, and its good to see another women choosing a few physical features of herself she likes. I have to remind myself that sometimes, its okay to tell the world when you feel beautiful!! :) love that suit, btw!

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes