Wednesday, April 09, 2014

DIY Tufted Headboard

Hey guys! I made a headboard! Queue applause and standing ovations please.



I wasn't planning on posting a tutorial, but after consulting several diy tutorials I still had to wing it on a few things- so I thought I'd pay it forward to all you diy patrons and post a few tips I learned along the way!

First- I consulted these blogs before starting the project: 1 2 3

Here are the things I learned from this experience:

1. Peg board is great to use if you're going to tuft...but how does one mount it? It's pretty flimsy and not thick enough to put a screw through. Steve and I (mostly Steve here) screwed in two boards across the back- 8 screws total- then mounted it to the wall using 2 D hooks for pictures from Home Depot (like these).

2. Quadruple your thread when tufting the buttons (8 strands total once you thread through). Doubling just wasn't enough- even with upholstery thread.

3. All you really need is two staples per each end of your thread when tufting. Do them right in front each other- zig zagging puts pressure on the thread and they're more likely to snap.

4. Use this tutorial when you're upholstering your buttons. The tutorial on the back of the package is totally confusing! Also, if you're using thicker fabric ie: suede, velvet, etc. making the buttons will be difficult. I had to hammer them in and even so had to hot glue some back on after I had tufted them.

5. For my queen sized headboard I used about 1.25 yards of this fabric.

I hope this helps any of you looking to fulfill your own tufted headboard dreams. We love ours! It took forever but was pretty easy when all was said and done. The buttons were by far the worst part! 

Craft on little lovers!










3 comments:

  1. i love how it turned out. now i need to decide if im actually brave enough to make one!

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes