Monday, July 14, 2014

Braided Crown Tutorial

Thanks you guys for all the love on last week's social media post and the pregnancy reveal! And to be clear I am not giving up the blog! Never! Just instagram and social media via my smart phone. I thought I would clarify after the look of horror on my dad's face asking if I was "ever going to blog again???". So yes Dad (and anyone else wondering), I'm not going totally Ron Swanson- just giving myself a little smart phone cleanse!

Anyway- I got a couple requests for a hair tutorial on the braided crown I've been sporting EVERYWHERE lately. The best thing about it is it seems complicated but I would argue it's almost easier than a top knot! Heaven knows in the CA heat this pregnant girl NEEDS her hair off her neck. I love me some top knot but I've got thick hair and now that it's getting longer piling it all on top all day tends to give me a headache. Pregnancy+headaches=no fun, so braided crown! Ready set go!

1. First, you're going to need bobby pins and an itty bitty rubber band- preferably your hair color so it blends in, I only had black.... be better than me! I also like to leave my hair unbrushed, tousled if you will, it tends to make your braids more big and luxurious and Elsa-like!


2. Go ahead and give yourself a deep side part.


3. take a fairly large chunk and divide it into three pieces. Take your outside piece and braid it under the middle piece making a dutch braid.


4. Continue along the crown of your head, always taking a new piece of hair and joining it with your outside piece. 


5. Braid all the way around your head, it may take a couple times getting used to the back of your head but my fingers are so programmed now I don't even have to think about it! Braid until the very end of your hair and secure with a tiny elastic.



6. Secure the end of your braid behind the start near the top of your head. I like to tuck the end under the original braid so it doesn't stick out. I also usually have a few ornery strands, just take some bobby pins and show 'em who's boss!


7. If you want a fuller look gently pull the strands of your braid apart along the crown and voila! You're done!



^^again with the elastic, get a clear one!^^

This style seriously takes me two seconds, I don't need a mirror and it lasts all day! Best of all it feels weightless on my head and it's hard for Clara to sabotage! 

Happy Monday friends!


6 comments:

  1. I love braided crowns!! You are too adorable girl :)
    xo TJ

    http://www.hislittlelady.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting! I'm definitely going to try this. Love the blonde by the way! I've also gone back and forth between dark brunette and blonde, it's fun! Have you ever thought about cutting it short again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm constantly debating going back to the pixie! I loved that cut!

      Delete
  3. You make it look so simple! & I love *Love* love the blonde!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I tried this on my hair this morning...no such luck. ha. It started out okay, but then ended up as just a side french braid (which I have to admit was pretty cool because I didn't know I could do that!). Any more tips about braiding around the back of your head? I know you said it takes a couple tries to get that part down, but I just want to make sure I'm not totally off base here. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! The back is tricky! Maybe it'd help to say that when I get to the back of my head I start taking pieces from the top/crown instead of the outside?! I hope that helps! Maybe I should post a video?!

      Delete

Love Notes