Thursday, July 10, 2014

Thoughts on Social Media


So I've been thinking a lot about social media lately. Obviously, I'm a big fan and a pretty big participator as well. For the most part I'm all about it. Honestly, there's really no better way to stay in touch with friends and family we don't get to see often. But there are some downsides and I've really been struggling with them recently. Most of my social media discomfort centers around my phone. I find myself reaching for it at any lull, out of habit and almost instinctively. It's like I've trained myself to not let myself have any "down time", I have to always be engaged in it. I've taken my ability to ponder anything but the present. I got to thinking about it and the pros just didn't outweigh the cons for the time being. I didn't want to be setting that kind of example for my daughter and so I decided, for the time being, to delete the biggest offending apps from my phone (instagram, pinterest, the app store, safari, etc), I even had Steve set a restrictions passcode on my phone to prevent any backtracking in moments of weakness! Hardcore, I know. I briefly considered getting rid of my smartphone altogether but I just literally don't think I'd survive without google maps. ha! Anyway, I may decide to re download later on down the road if I feel fully "rehabilitated" but for now I feel oddly liberated! Let the social media detox begin!






misc photos from June!

7 comments:

  1. i feel ya girl, and totally support ya :) although, I will REALLY miss seeing little clara pop up on my feed with her kisses and giggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the reasions I don't own a smartphone. I have a simple Nokia phone and while I am longing to have Instagram one day I am quite happy that I only use my phone when I really have to use it. On the other hand I waste way too much time on the Internet :( I am sure you made a good decision :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same sometimes. I didn't even have a cell phone until after my mission! I try to be conscious to not use it just whenever there's a spare minute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You nailed it, girl. I feel the same way and think I have found some balance by taking everything but IG off my phone. I use nap time to blog and facebook etc. Liberating is exactly the word I'd choose. Enjoy the summer and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are seriously so great to do this. It's tempting to join you. With my other babies I would read whenever I nurse, but with Sam I've been reaching for my iPhone or ipad whenever I sit down (which I am currently on as I nurse :) You may just have inspired me to start a ban myself. Thanks for the honesty and the courage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I have the hardest time with it when I'm nursing and when I'm sick (pregnant sick)! I'd much rather be reading a book but I always reach for my phone!!!

      Delete
  6. oh my gosh, that precious girl is growing so much! and i feel ya on the iphone and social media! i love leaving my phone in the other room and forgetting all about it. but as soon as i do that my husband calls and i miss it and he's all "why didn't you answer your phone!" ohhhh life in 2014!

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes