Sunday, January 18, 2015

Winnie Mae, a birth story.

^^my last pic as a preggers...no, the bed did not get made^^

it had been 10 days of false labor contractions and although they were individually manageable and really more annoying than painful, they were collectively wearing me out. Emotionally and physically. Monday morning I woke up at 6am after a fitful nights' rest feeling a little different. It was hard to tell if the contractions were really any more painful but I was a little nauseous and just felt off. I laid back down until 8 when Steve started getting ready, I had an appointment at 9:45 for a non-stress test that morning so I decided to get ready with him. A couple minutes into getting ready I was struggling to get my pants on so Steve decided it would be a good idea for him to come to my appt with me...a couple minutes later I was having a hard time standing through my contractions so I thought we might as well head to the hospital just in case. I kept second guessing myself in between contractions but as soon as another one would hit I knew they were the real thing. I remember looking down at my belly and getting misty eyed thinking that today might be the day I get to meet the precious little soul I'd been carrying for nine months. I was so ready.





Steve went and got Clara out of bed and I'll never forget how sweet she was that morning. I was leaning up against the kitchen wall through a contraction, attempting to waddle my way to the car and she ran up to me, arms outstretched with her mop of curly bed head and her onesie jammies with the biggest smile on her face. She gave me a hug and a kiss and demanded one for "baby Winnie" too. I get choked up just thinking about it. We headed over to Caroline and Aaron's to drop off Clara with me in the back seat on my hands and knees rocking through the contractions. We made it to the hospital by 9:30, they wheeled me into triage and got me all hooked up. When the nurse checked me I was a 7 and Steve and I looked at each other and just laughed. I was so relieved! It was really happening! They wheeled me into a labor and delivery room at 10:00, my doctor checked me shortly after and I was at a 10- baby time! He broke my water (because I'm pretty sure my water will never ever ever break by it's stubborn self), and my sweet Winnie Mae entered this world at 10:41 am. The nurse hadn't even finished checking me in.









They wiped her off and laid her right on my chest for an hour while they delivered the placenta and stitched me up. Soaking her in was the best thing I could imagine. She latched right on to nurse, the sun was pouring in the room and I just drank in her neck rolls and the sweet little hand resting on my chest. She was so chunky, back rolls right off the bat! I never thought I'd have it in me to produce an almost 9 lb. baby. When the nurses announced 8 lbs 10.5 oz we were all shocked- my doctor couldn't believe she fit in me! 20 inches long, 8 lbs 10.5 oz, she is perfect and absolutely worth the wait. 




We are all obsessed with her, big sister included. It's all I can do not to just stare at her all day long. She is such a sweet little spirit, I don't think she cries more than 5 minutes total on any given day. I already can't imagine what life was like without her. I love this sweet family of mine.  

and for those interested in these types of things, Clara's birth story.

7 comments:

  1. I love this so much! This is absolutely my type of thing. (Give me all the birth stories!) A) you are glowing and one of the most beautiful mamas I know, B) Winnie Mae is the CUTEST and C) That last picture of Steve looking down at Winnie is beautiful. I can feel the love through the screen! Congratulations again! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, so incredibly sweet! That first picture of Steve with her is priceless. So happy to hear you had a safe and smooth delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love!! My husband and I are expecting our first in a couple months, so I can't get enough of this birth stories. So sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to the sweetest parents and big sister ever! She is adorable. You guys make beautiful girls :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for your little family! It seems like a joyful experience all around. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy happy! Thanks for sharing your joy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! Thanks for sharing your sweet story!

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes