Tuesday, August 25, 2015

My Captain Wentworth


*warning, this is about to get all sorts of schmaltzy and I'm not going to apologize for it, so if you're not into that sort of thing...stop reading here.

Seeing this photo takes me back to Galilee and Steve's arms around me for the first time. He stood behind me looking at the lights of Tiberias across the water and I remember feeling so.... safe and so different from any other relationship I'd ever been in (although, technically and much to his eternal dismay we were not yet in a relationship). He was strong and so there and it felt so right, so comfortable, unlike anything I'd ever felt before. 

I still crave his arms around me, it's still my safe place. Every time I read Persuasion, my favorite of the Austens, this line reads true to home and describes perfectly how I feel about Steve. 

"There had been a time, when of all the large party now filling the drawing-room at Uppercross, they would have found it most difficult to cease to speak to one another. With the exception, perhaps, of Admiral and Mrs. Croft, who seemed particularly attached and happy, (Anne could allow no other exception even among the married couples) there could have been no two hearts so open, no tastes so simliar, no feelings so in unison, no countenances so beloved. "

he's my Captain Wentworth and I'm so glad I found him.

Love you Steve.

3 comments:

  1. Persuasion is my favorite Austen novel, too...I'm not sure I've ever met someone else who loves it as much as I do. :-) I'm so glad you've found your Captain Wentworth...he'll always win out over Mr. Darcy in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, thank you!! Wentworth over Darcy please and thank you.

      Delete
  2. Le sigh... I love it when you get all schmaltzy! Adding Persuasion to my Must Read Immediately list! I love Austen but have never read that one.

    ReplyDelete

Love Notes