Monday, October 26, 2015

The 2015 Marcum Annual Fall Feast


Although, admittedly, this year was much more involved than any years past... it all started with six hand painted invitations in the mail, which turned into handmade calligraphy menu and place cards. I'd been itching for two things. One, a party under our magical twinkle lights in the backyard (I'm aware they don't actually twinkle...but that's what I've ended up calling them anyway.) and two, a reason to dress up, like REALLY dress up. So the invitations went out for the middle of October to almost guarantee good weather and specified "Dress: FANCY read {pocket squares, fur and pearls}". It was weeks of preparation, silver polishing, napkin ironing, gathering of chairs and an extra table (thanks to my mom for most of these!) which is how I like it, really. Three days prior found me busy in the kitchen making anything that could be held in advance, pie crust, sliced onions, etc. Our butler's pantry became a catch-all for candle tapers, colorful glassware and little sees candies. The day before I could be found running around town picking up fresh baguettes and herbs, baking pumpkins or up to my elbows arranging flowers in the kitchen. The morning of was fairly calm, we got bagels in the morning and stopped by Target for a mop and some maraschino cherries, then home to start cooking. I don't think I left the kitchen from 10 am to 7pm excepting short ventures out to nurse sweet Winnie. Clara went on a date to the movies with her Papa, Steve kept up with my mountain of dishes, the heavy lifting and the general welfare of the house. Winnie mostly hung out in the ergo on my back enjoying the occasional piece of apple to gnaw on. My back was singing by the end of the day but I was exceedingly content. It's really my element. The tables outside evolved throughout the day and I couldn't help taking photos at each stage, obviously. 
The guests arrived fashionably late. In fact, very fashionably, they all looked fabulous. Billie Holiday serenaded us on the record player while everyone sat down and enjoyed the magic of it all. Steve and I served everyone the french onion soup and I had my Julia Child moment, making and serving dinner to my guests. I've never particularly liked french onion soup but this recipe looked too inviting to resist (Manger always does it right) and I have to say it turned out quite well. In fact, it may have been my favorite dish of the night! Next came the chicken in creme fraiche and all the sides that everyone brought! We had everyone serve themselves for fear of spilling on the beautiful clothes... but I did carve the chickens. The pumpkin pasties and apple tartelettes came next with a generous dollop of fresh whipped cream. Our backyard was full of laughter and voices. I think everyone enjoyed themselves immensely. 
but the invitation said 8pm to midnight and the night was not over! It was time to see who could keep their wits about them past 10 pm. We had a shirley temple/dirty diet coke bar complete with maraschino cherries and Sonic pebble ice (not pictured because I guess I was just having too much fun!) for anyone who needed perking up. Then commenced almost three rounds of the name game in which the ladies took the men to school. Ha!
I was a perfect evening with wonderful friends that I'm sure I'll be reliving and savoring it in all my daydreams until Christmas. Now for the pictures, and get ready for a lot, I was pretty proud of myself for pulling this off! 






































thanks to Lindee for some of the food pictures! Somehow I completely spaced capturing the feast part of the fall feast??? Also here and here and here are some fall feasts from years past!

8 comments:

  1. You forgot the fall feast in Provo where you had me and my roommates over! Seriously, you are amazing. And where on earth is that skirt from?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TAY! The first link is that dinner with your roommates! It was the first annual fall feast! Also I got that skirt from an estate sale....isn't it amazing???

      Delete
  2. oh my gosh, how incredible that you pulled this off with two little ones!! what a special night for you and your friends!! everything looks gorgeous. starting with the invitations!! way to go, lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! This is more than magazine worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was epic. Really. Fabulous job, looks like the event of a lifetime! I'm pining for some "twinkle lights" in my backyard!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm catching up on months and months of posts and my eyeballs nearly popped out of my head when I saw the evening photos! Dreamy, magical, cozy, ethereal... it was ALL the things! THE Feast of all Fall Feasts! All the high-five and applauding emojis, my friend. Miss you guys! Hope all is well! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I just realized I said "all" four times. Haha. It really was that good though! ;)

      Delete

Love Notes