Thursday, April 06, 2017

30


Well I'm 3 days late on this my love, but I think I have a pretty good excuse in the 3 week old squishy baby sleeping in my arms. You've been looking forward to being 30 for most of our 20's! Congratulations! You made it! and it looks good on you. You're not a big "birthday person", every year you make sure to remind me that you don't like a lot of fuss or presents. You do like a nice homemade meal and a good back rub, however, and I think we got it just right this year. For your dinner we made you crispy chicken shawarma with rice pilaf, pita, hummus (throwing it back to our Jerusalem roots) with garlic roasted beets. You blew out your candle on a fresh mixed berry lattice pie with ice cream and I consented to watch Ip Man with you, it was your day after all, and I was pleasantly surprised. So in keeping with tradition I thought I'd give a little update on you, feel free to correct me in any of the particulars.

at 30 years old Steve...

goes to our local bagel shop most mornings for breakfast, they know him by name and can anticipate all his usual orders.

continues to consume large amounts of soda throughout the day, but this year I'd say Dr. Pepper 10 has taken it's place of honor, maybe not next to but directly below, Diet Mtn. Dew and Diet Coke in his affections.

plays "lions" (glorified wrestling/make believe fighting) with the girls just about every night before bed. It's hard to say who looks forward to it more, him or them.

has  fit into his role quite comfortably as a father of girls, and often consents to bows and ribbons being artfully placed in his hair by little dimpled fingers.

continues to get more and more emotional as the years go by. Most notably crying for 30 minutes after seeing Arrival in the theater this past fall! I love my sensitive man.

looks forward to dates every week with his boo and continues to put us unquestionably first, even if we do love our girls so terribly much. Consequently spends an average of 3 hours a day texting...mostly me. We pretty much can't handle more than 2 hours of no contact, I love him so much.

still has a thick full head of hair...even if he can't quite grow a full beard yet. Maybe by 35.

loves listening to Ben Shapiro podcasts as of late and is highly entertained by all the juicy political drama.

has continued in his undying love for statistics and excel spreadsheets.

is the main driver in filling our household with laughter. I think few things bring him more joy than making his girls laugh!

loves "tickling the ivories" every night and plays the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack so well you can hardly tell it isn't a CD. I know, I'm a lucky woman.


Overall is just the best husband, father, partner in crime and man of God that we could ever ask for. He continues to be our prince among men and just keeps getting better with age. For his birthday this year I made him a pen and ink copy of his favorite poem- "If" by Rudyard Kipling- and through the several drafts I made I just kept thinking that he is that man. I'm still all heart eyes for you Steven Grant Marcum! Happy Birthday!!

Oh and this year his office colleagues decorated his office in an "amazon reviews" theme for his birthday and asked me to write him a review for it (they are so fun and creative), so I thought I'd include it here to finish us off:

Steve Marcum: ***** five stars

Hard working, honest, straight-forward, genuine and very handsome, with thick curly locks that look even better in person! Will rub your feet after a hard day and play soothing piano music to cheer you up. Very good with kids but especially excels at playing "lions", getting children to try everything on their plate, daddy-daughter dates and "scary" stories at bedtime. He has made me laugh every day for nearly 8 years. I've been extremely pleased with my purchase and would do it again in a heartbeat!


1 comment:

Love Notes